POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wip shark [39 Kb] : Re: wip shark [52 Kb] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wip shark [52 Kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 25 Jul 2005 20:01:35
Message: <42e57d5f$1@news.povray.org>
Rene Bui wrote:
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>map.  But I am not entirely happy with the results so I attach a
>>downscaled shot of the test here.
>

> Jim, it's better and better. The environment, the lighting and modelling are
> great and remoras add a life-like touch. The head is very convincing too.
> But I think there is something wrong with the skin texture. It seems like a
> sort of metallized plastic. Honnestly, I don't know how to fix it, maybe
> with the normal-map (?). I think Grey-nurse (or Sand-tiger) skin have many
> more spottings than you did. And also, the fins could be a bit darker with
> color variations...etc.
> http://www.dinosoria.com/diapo_requins/images/requin_taureau_jpg.jpg
> http://www.dinosoria.com/diapo_requins/images/requin_taureau_002_jpg.jpg

Hi Rene, I truly appreciate the support.  It's at this late stage in a
work where the final 10% of quality seems to cost 90% of the effort that
my determination usually breaks down.

One thing I may need to do is look up a post someone recently made about
using jpeg's and their gamma adjustment, because in fact you wouldn't
believe how dark and contrasted this color image_map actually is.  It's
to the extent that while editing it I can just barely see the markings I
am adding.  Also, I am having some better success if I also average the
markings from the bump_map layer into the image_map layer so that some
darkness corresponds to the depressions.  But it comes at a cost.  That
merging process tends to soften the markings that were intended to show
the color changes alone. But you photos seem to show that I am getting
fairly close to the overall color.

Right now the bump_map is also being averaged with a procedural granite
normal. This is meant to show the overall skin texture under the random
gouges. I have spent several evenings experimenting with different brush
definitions when drawing the bump_map.  It has resulted in improvements
but it is not yet "right"  Though actually it shows up better at higher
resolutions.

As far as the finish goes, part of the problem is that the metallic
look, which is mostly do to the high specular I think, is close to how
it actually looks to me in different photo references and on some TV
documentaries I've been seeing.  I tried to use a texture_map with a
slope pattern pointed at the camera to get the specular to fall off more
dramatically but unfortunately that increases the render time
exponentially.  I also tried a layered texture to get more control over
the color markings you mentioned but that also makes the render time
untenable.  Right now the little-sphere-over-the-camera trick is what I
am resorting to to increase the apparent contrast.  Also, in the render
I showed you, I may not have adjusted the fade-power enough to
compensate for the lessening of scattering and extinction.

Anyway I am taking a break from the skin texture issues and writing a
macro to generate some little fishes in various random postures.

Thanks again for taking the time.

-Jim