POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 13-9-14-9-13-1-12-9-19-13 : Re: 13-9-14-9-13-1-12-9-19-13 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 13-9-14-9-13-1-12-9-19-13
From: Jim Charter
Date: 24 Jul 2005 11:03:05
Message: <42e3ada9$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> I'm kinda hesitant about making such a sweeping criticism, but I've seen
> this in a lot of images posted here: Personally I don't think the use of
> text in an image can be considered minimalist,

Yes it can

particularly not if we're
> talking about anything as complex as an entire 5 syllable word (or a
> digital encoding thereof).

Yes it can, I think Kawara's "Today Series" is "minimalist"

> My reasoning is pretty simple: minimalism is all about reduction to the
> simplest possible form, and the letters of the alphabet are elaborate
> and complex from a visual point of view compared to the base forms we
> find in ray-tracing: spheres, boxes, etc.

It is about reduction but there is not need to be limited to "form" as
the focus.  That is the usual understand though.

> If you want to use text perhaps present it in a context where text is
> the most minimal form, e.g. on an old-school green on black computer
> screen.

Probably a good ploy.  Text can be as banal as any other everyday
artifact.  Empahsizing this would fall under the enterprise of
"minimalist" I think

> Obviously you can disagree, but at the very least use a sans-serif font :)

LOL, but then maybe you might also chose a 'default' font.