POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rusty chain : Re: Rusty chain Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rusty chain
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 24 Jul 2005 04:08:23
Message: <42e34c77@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Any improvement suggestions?

Even assuming you were going for a "forged iron" look for the links (as
I guess from the color and finish), a chain wouldn't be that rough. Cut
back on the normal; you want slight imperfections, not faux leather. I
wouldn't expect an iron chain to be that dark, either.. but I know some
iron IS that dark, so I leave it to your judgement.

As for the rust... Usually, when bare iron rusts from exposure to
moisture in the air, it doesn't go in bits and pieces, it rusts all at
once. If you can find photographs of a rusty chain or something similar,
you'll probably see that it all just goes kinda dull and brownish.

The spotty kind of rust you have here is usually the result of
corrosion.. either the iron has some kind of exterior coating or finish
that wears off, or it's been splattered with water drops and then left
alone. If you want that kind of rust, you'll want a more corroded look
for the rusty areas.. pitted, chunky, fuzzy, and/or flaky. You'll also
want a really dull finish and some color variance.

-Xplo