POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Slow performance after compile? : Re: Slow performance after compile? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:31:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slow performance after compile?
From: Ryan Lamansky
Date: 22 Jul 2005 10:24:22
Message: <42e10196$1@news.povray.org>
ZainAnak wrote:
> Hey all.  I'm a new pov user, and have been playing with compilation on my
> machine.  I'm building 3.6 from the source here on the site, using Visual
> C++ 2003 Standard Edition.  I'm finding my render times are about half as
> fast as when I use the binaries from the site on the same scenes.  I've
> tried compiling in release mode, to no avail.  Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks!
> -ZA

POV-Ray provided by the website uses the latest version of the Intel C++
Compiler that was available at the time of that POV version's release.

The Intel C++ compiler is has more optimization capabilities than
Microsoft's (which makes sense, since Intel's CPU engineers are just
down the hall from the compiler writers).  This enables the Intel
compiler to produce very fast code.

If you spend a lot of time playing with project and optimization
settings, you can get fairly close with VS 2003 in performance, and even
closer in VS 2005, but you'll never be able to match Intel's own work.

-Ryan