POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lighting advice? : Re: Lighting advice? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:27:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting advice?
From: Alain
Date: 20 Jul 2005 13:29:15
Message: <42de89eb@news.povray.org>
Tom York nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-07-19 14:35:
> This image was rendered with radiosity in two passes. There's an area light
> behind the camera, well off to the right and up (to cast some soft
> shadows). The light sources for radiosity are the sky, some yellow panels
> below the floor (they're responsible for the yellow shine on the underside
> of the exhibits) and a blue panel in the ceiling (you can see a bit of that
> panel).
>
> Antialiasing used was method 1 with threshold 0.0 (anything more and those
> white lines on sharp features become more obvious and abundant).
Have you tyied method 2?

> What would be the best way to improve the lighting now? It's quite flat, but
> I want to keep a "daylight" look to it. Getting rid of those radiosity
> artefacts in the corners might be nice, but not if it involves
> substantially increasing render time (this already took about 15 hours, due
> mainly to radiosity). Radiosity settings used were:

To help reduce the artefacts you can try using 1 or 2 more pretrace steps, it can help
somewhat. Try
pretrace_end 0.000625 or 0.0003125
Increasing count normaly help, but I'm not sure that it can realy help in this case.
Using a smaller low_error_factor than the default (0.5) may help in some case. It only
affect the
last pretrace step.
The artefacts are mainly related to your yellow pannels, maybe some tweaking in there
finish,
pigment or dimentions and placing could help. Some suggestions:
- make the pits deeper and lower the panels.
- make the pannels a bit smaller than the pits. or enlarge them to make them larger
than the pits.
- a little lower ambient with a higher saturation for the yellow pannels.
- make the yellow pannels transparent and put some weak yellow area_light spot_light
under them.

To Joanne Simpson, if the air is very clean and dry, there can be no notable fog at
all. In a
futuristic space museum this would be the case: you cut on cleaning and get rid of
corrosion.

Alain