POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wip shark [39 Kb] : Re: wip shark [39 Kb] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wip shark [39 Kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 19 Jul 2005 17:32:47
Message: <42dd717f$1@news.povray.org>
s.day wrote:
> The shark certainly looks a lot better, looks like you have added some
> damage to the body. Sharks always seem to look fairly battered but I think
> the fins could be a bit more damage, they look a bit too smooth to me.
>
> I like the background but think it needs to look a bit more like it is
> underwater, I have never done an underwater scene so I can't really give
> any advice (I wouldn't know where to start except I expect very long trace
> times..)
>
> A scene with underwater caustics would be good, maybe have the shark nearer
> the surface being lit from above with some caustics on the body. Excellent
> modelling though, can't remember what you said you used in the last post,
> was it wings or blender?

Wings.

Yes the whole shark thing may lead to some different underwater type
scenes to examine the associated lighting/media/refraction issues.  This
really started out as a modelling/texturing study, lol.  I thought the
shark shape would be relatively easy.  But like any simple looking
smooth form, the subtlties become more important.  The setting is still
not all that convincing but it is better than the last 35 or so tests
that I have run. As I meantioned the clearer, darker, totally camera-lit
renders ( and reference photos ) tend to look prettier, more colorful,
more contrasty. But the more turgid looking, filtered light seems much
more of a challenge.