POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kepler Solar System Take 3 : Re: Kepler Solar System Take 3 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kepler Solar System Take 3
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 19 Jul 2005 07:41:29
Message: <42dce6e9$1@news.povray.org>
"PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.42dcd3f4100c4809d46eca60@news.povray.org...

> For a quick bio and other interesting info, see
> http://kepler.nasa.gov/johannes/

That was interesting. I didn't know any of that before, or had forgotten it
all. My classes in astronomy were mostly the technical stuff and none of the
history-- or very little of it anyhow.

Those "firsts" are amazing. Total internal reflection, eh? The guy would
have done some raytracing for sure then, like someone (oh, was PM 2Ring!)
said before, that Kepler could have been good with POV-Ray.

I especially didn't know I have him to thank, at least in part, for
eyeglasses.

Kepler gets well-known for that somewhat bizarre geometric model and most
people probably don't realize he wasn't just some kind of peculiar person. I
know I sure do. However, I always admired Kepler for that.

That stuff about him being a religous rebel, in some sense, is apparently
common among the scientists of the period. But moreso I think the average
person was probably becoming smarter about things because all this changed
soon after it became popular. Science, being something dealing in facts, is
obviously a tough thing to ignore.

Bob