POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] : Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 18 Jul 2005 10:09:33
Message: <42dbb81d$1@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
>
>>Bob Hughes wrote:
>>
>>>match the surface normal using trace in some way. Something to think
>>>about
>>
>>You also have normal data from the original mesh too? Either natively or
>>as cross products of the verts? Though a shotgun trace would probably be
>>easier.  Then again maybe use a few normals from the mesh as seeds then
>>cluster some traces around them?  It also occurred to me that using local
>>clusters  you could avoid the Venn Diagram looking situations by somehow
>>creating nested patterns instead of averaged...maybe by writing to an
>>include file?
>

> You lost me, Jim, you'd know more about meshes than I would. Triangle meshes
> aren't something I ever got into, beyond rendering some anyway. I just
> thought trace would see the normals on them like it does with other objects.
>
> Bob

All I meant was that his files contain the vertices for each triangle
which would be enough to approximate the triangle's normal with.  Just
checking now, I see that the files do also contain the normals for each
vertex too.  So the files could be parsed, probably externally, to
either retrieve or calculate some normals info.  As you say though, for
your purposes shooting a trace would be easier and sufficient.