POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Double planetoid WIP (night) : Re: Double planetoid WIP (night) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double planetoid WIP (night)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 18 Jul 2005 07:16:45
Message: <42db8f9d$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> tricky to do well. If the windows are lit, there should be some indistinct
> detail within for  realism... not an issue in daylight! I could simply
> make
> them glow, of course, but I'm not sure it would look right. I'm open to
> suggestions...

If done like a photograph you wouldn't need details within the windows,
since that would make them just solid bright spots. Some kind of overglow
comes into play then, though, which I guess is what you were thinking too. I
was just thinking how light emanating outward from the windows might work
well to shine out into the darkness to compliment those you already used
outside. I wonder what radiosity would do if you replaced the window
openings with brightly colored boxes?

> I had thought that this time of night might well be after lights-out, and
> these lamps are like streetlamps.

Yep, that makes sense. Then I think it might need lights out on the rock
someplace and illuminating the buildings from a distance rather than
directly at the walls. And then that means parking lots, roads or pathways
could be needed. Problematic when it begins to get more complicated like
that.

>> What's the render-time? And on what kind of computer? Is a final render
>> going to get into days instead of hours or something?
> at least 266MHz and 256MB RAM... I think. The current version of the scene
> takes over four days to render with everything switched on at 1280x1024,

Yow. Yeah, that's an aging machine there.  ; )

My desktop Dell is an Intel 3GHz, not amazingly fast still, and I haven't
upgraded the memory so it only has 512MB. Since it's mostly idle I'm willing
to render this for you, if you ever want, just ask. I mainly use my Dell
notebook and just network the two since it's so mobile, so I became most
accustomed to it since getting my first one several years ago.

I like to see test renders one after another in rapid succession, but sure
does slow things down when "test" means all the bells and whistles are added
to the scene, especially with an image size big enough to see it all
accurately. One of those personality characteristics known as patience, that
varies a great deal in everyone, really makes a difference in how that goes
(mine wavers a lot).
: )
Hopefully you'll be able to keep chugging along on this project between
lunch breaks. Gee, and I hope you don't get into trouble for using office
equipment in a non-official way!

Bob