POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] : Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 17 Jul 2005 23:39:46
Message: <42db2482$1@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:

  I'm thinking that to use this appropriately on
> irregular shapes, like those asteroids, it might be a good idea to try and
> match the surface normal using trace in some way. Something to think about
> anyhow, not sure I'll ever get around to it though.

You also have normal data from the original mesh too? Either natively or
as cross products of the verts? Though a shotgun trace would probably be
easier.  Then again maybe use a few normals from the mesh as seeds then
cluster some traces around them?  It also occurred to me that using
local clusters  you could avoid the Venn Diagram looking situations by
somehow creating nested patterns instead of averaged...maybe by writing
to an include file?