POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] : Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some cratering using your idea [18kb JPG]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 Jul 2005 15:05:08
Message: <42daabe4@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

> Also I think it looks better, or at least closer to your example, with
> poly_wave set between 1 and 4.

I've tried it with poly_wave 1.8 and I see what you are saying about that.

> Yes Slow. My example rendered -aa in about 5 minutes.

It isn't slow enough to matter, I guess, if doing mainly a cratered
planetoid anyway. In fact, I've tried it with 50 iterations for the first
loop and 25 for the second and using default AA it was 3 minutes 50 seconds
(on a 2GHz CPU here) to do the attached image.

> That you would use the idea or something similar to augment your texture
> was what I was thinking.  With a little less random, but rather more
> judicious application, you might get faster times and better effects.

I changed the average value to be rand(S), too, so it could have old and
young craters mixed together. I'm thinking that to use this appropriately on
irregular shapes, like those asteroids, it might be a good idea to try and
match the surface normal using trace in some way. Something to think about
anyhow, not sure I'll ever get around to it though.

Thanks a bunch for sharing this other way Jim.

Bob Hughes

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'jccratersrandomaverage.jpg' (14 KB)

Preview of image 'jccratersrandomaverage.jpg'
jccratersrandomaverage.jpg