POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] : Re: some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 Jul 2005 21:13:02
Message: <42d9b09e$1@news.povray.org>
"Steven Pigeon" <ste### [at] videotronca> wrote in message
> I'm sure the shape-data is accurate as can be, but the texture
> looks weird. I would not expect to vary between reddish/bluish
> gray. Maybe more like 6489 Golevka (even though I'm sure it's
> also the same texture), at least, as a global feeling.

Thanks for the comments Steven.

Yes, intermediate-sized ones look better to me too. Eros and Kleopatra have
one more layer of crackle pigment and normal added to them to use two
different sizes of craters. Or at least what is supposed to be craters. I
muted the colors a lot since the first renderings I did. I was trying for
something like the Galileo spacecraft photos of Gaspra and Ida, as seen in
the color pictures at:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/photo_gallery/photogallery-asteroids.html

I think most people think of asteroids as being only grey or a grey-brown,
grey-blue. I'm not sure how realistic any of the photos are of those I've
seen but I still can't get it to look right. I believe all are over-exposed.

Bob Hughes