POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Minimalism WIP : Re: Minimalism WIP Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimalism WIP
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 Jul 2005 20:52:16
Message: <42d9abc0$1@news.povray.org>
Cool stuff! Could title it Everything Else.

I had some astronomy at the U of W 24 years ago(!) so maybe I'm at least
partly qualified to make suggestions.
; )

Put a few elliptical galaxies in there, ranging from ovoid to spherical.
Make some of the spirals the barred kind. Perhaps a few dots representing
quasars. You could probably go wild with shapes of all kinds really, like
the famous antenna galaxy, whirlpool, etc.

Wish I could remember the relative quantity of each type, but even after
searching for the answer I can only guess it is the spirals that are most
numerous, next ellipticals, then irregulars and others. I thought
ellipticals were, but maybe that's by mass instead(?).

What you have now looks pretty good but maybe the edge-on spirals are too
thick. They get most of their visual thickness from the over-exposure and
from older stars in the halo around the centers. Globular clusters exist in
large number there, too.

Here's a great example from the Hubble telescope, which you might have seen
already.

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/hudf/hudf_150dpi.jpg

And the wikipedia might be worth a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy

Bob Hughes