POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] : some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  some asteroids (from Paul Bourke) [122kb JPG]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 Jul 2005 09:58:32
Message: <42d91288@news.povray.org>
Got these asteroid models from:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/%7Epbourke/terrain/asteroid2/

Only textured surfaces here, not like the kind described by Paul Bourke at:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/terrain/asteroid/

I was trying to render some kind of asteroid thing for temporary Windows
wallpaper after finding these. Was looking for a model of Comet Tempel when
I found them, for rendering a simple Deep Impact (the July 4th
comet/projectile) collision scene. Began it by using isosurface and
scattering media, except the isosurface was merely a random shape.

Anyway... This picture has the scales all wrong-- in a sense. Kleopatra is
the largest, being 217 km long, and Eros is only 33 km. Instead of making
them equal to each other I chose scale their sizes and move them closer or
farther from the camera. Yes, it is supposed to be dark since asteroids
would typically be dark to our eyes. I made the attempt to use relative
brightnesses between all of them, too. Don't expect accuracy in any of it,
only for fun.

Asteroid Ky26 is a speck of just about 30 meters, and it's also the darkest
one. Golevka is the brightest, also small at only 350 meters. Both are shown
4X closer than the bottom three. And Geographos is 5X farther away as them
(Ky26, Golevka). Then, Eros is about 1.5X farther out than Geographos, and
Kleopatra is around 20X beyond Eros. Confusing, sorry. It seemed the
quickest way to get it rendered and still have some proper scaling.

Yeah, I know, they only look vaguely like space rocks. Thought I'd show how
strange they can be if you aren't familiar with them already. Maybe I'll be
able to make better cratered surfaces without resorting to image/bump maps
someday but this isn't the day.

Thanks for looking!
Bob Hughes

Post a reply to this message