POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Faux-Polaroid' : not for the IRTC Minimalism round... : Re: 'Faux-Polaroid' : not for the IRTC Minimalism round... Server Time
13 Sep 2024 10:33:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Faux-Polaroid' : not for the IRTC Minimalism round...
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 Jul 2005 06:58:52
Message: <42d8e86c$1@news.povray.org>
Paper pools, eh? Never heard of it, nor this Hockney fellow. So I searched
and found a place with a book by a Ken Tyler--
http://www.nga.gov.au/InternationalPrints/Tyler/Detail.cfm?IRN=62448&BioArtistIRN=14120&MnuID=SRCH
 --probably not the same person we know around these POV-Ray newsgroups. It
looks interesting. Just not as good as this rendering by you Rene, IMHO.

I like the muted tone, too, as someone else said already and the way it
draws attention to the deep water. Leaving only a fraction of the poolside
visible works really good. The wet diving board makes it great.

Some criticisms I have would be that the water is darker than most any pool
I've ever seen, looks like a lake; and the water surface might be too
disturbed, as if by a non-directional wind, not by rain drops. Concentric
ripples of random size covering the surface could be better suited to this
picture. Yet it still seems okay as it is now, but I think that's because I
see it as a surreal scene and so a lake merged into a swimming pool fits
nicely this way. I realize you said WIP, anyway, and it might be changed
somehow later.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by faux polaroids even after checking
into it by searching the internet. I thought maybe it might be about
manipulating the chemical emulsion layer by pressing on it, pushing it
around. I had heard of that years ago.

Bob Hughes