POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Minimalism? : Re: Minimalism? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimalism?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jul 2005 03:40:54
Message: <42d8ba06@news.povray.org>
"Ed Jackson" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.42d7c60bb42940c4437d093a0@news.povray.org...

> My verdict is... that's really cool.

Thank you indeed!

> Even the minimalists hated being pigeonholed as such, and I suppose
whether
> a particular work fits in that category is a matter of opinion.  In my
> relative ignorance of art history, I guess the word "minimalism" makes me
> think of pure abstraction, lack of emotional content, and a simplicity of
> form and texture.

I agree. In the end, I think that the categorizing matters much less than
the end product. After all, minimalist (and other) painters made their work
not because they where minimalists but because they had something to say the
way they did. So the danger here. is to put the cart in front of the horses.

> Based on that last item, my first reaction is that your image isn't really
> minimalist, but I'm sure others will disagree.  I suppose one of the big
> challenges with this topic is trying to fit yourself into a poorly defined
> category.

And that last is a challenge that makes this round interesting.

Thomas