POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aussie Dollars : Re: Aussie Dollars Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aussie Dollars
From: Alain
Date: 12 Jul 2005 12:23:03
Message: <42d3ee67$1@news.povray.org>
PM 2Ring nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-07-12 09:18:
> Here's what Australian dollar coins look like, almost. :) I just started
> this one last weekend. The coin faces are height fields, the milled edges
> are
> just normals on a cylinder, using a simple slope map & normal map.
>
> I'm not happy with the finish. I may need to find better source images for
> my
> height fields to improve the surface, so it reflects like a coin should.
> Some dirt and scratch marks on them would help, too, I guess. Also, the
> heights are wrong, because highlights are not always on the high points.
> For example, see the very heavy looking jawline on the Queen. (Sorry, about
> that Liz. :)
>
> The face image originals I used are here:
> http://www.australianstamp.com/Coin-web/aust/dollar/dolleli2.htm
> but I've smoothed them a bit (maybe a bit too much) using the NetPBM
> package.
>
> Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome!

In the images you used, the light comes from below. This tend to reverse the aparent
relief. For the
queen head, try the unlabled one from 1998 (1998 <blank><blank> canbera) or the 1997
silver one.
The one from 1990 silver kangaroo also have "conventiona" lighting.

Alain