POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is 'minimalism'? : Re: What is 'minimalism'? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is 'minimalism'?
From: Jeff Houck
Date: 10 Jul 2005 15:08:51
Message: <42d17243@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> Or rather, as I haven't done anything like minimalism, (at least I don't
> think so with my images), would this be a minimalist image?
>
>   ~Steve~

Minimal Art emerged as a movement in the 1950s and continued through the
Sixties and Seventies. It is a term used to describe paintings and
sculpture that thrive on simplicity in both content and form, and seek
to remove any sign of personal expressivity. The aim of Minimalism is to
allow the viewer to experience the work more intensely without the
distractions of composition, theme and so on.

There are examples of the Minimalist theory being exercised as early as
the 18th century when Goethe constructed an Altar of Good Fortune made
simply of a stone sphere and cube. But the 20th century sees the
movement come into its own. From the 1920s artists such as Malevich and
Duchamp produced works in the Minimalist vein but the movement is known
chiefly by its American exponents such as Dan Flavin, Carl Andre,
Ellsworth Kelly and Donald Judd who reacted against Abstract
Expressionism in their stark canvases, sculptures and installations.

Minimal Art is related to a number of other movements such as Conceptual
Art in the way the finished work exists merely to convey a theory, Pop
Art in their shared fascination with the impersonal and Land Art in the
construction of simple shapes. Minimal Art proved highly successful and
has been enormously influential on the development of art in the 20th
century.

http://www.artmovements.co.uk/minimalism.htm