POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : er...fishing for some help [70 Kb] : Re: er...fishing for some help [40 Kb] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: er...fishing for some help [40 Kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 7 Jul 2005 20:45:18
Message: <42cdcc9e$1@news.povray.org>
Dave Sproson wrote:
> Looks good, my only comments would be:
>
> 1) Sharks generally have small pupils; I think you've got too much black
> in the eye here, and

Yes the eye needs much more detail, right now its just a sort of button
on the surface with four of the polys textured black.  The pupil
probably is too big although I must say, the appearance of its relative
bigness seems to depand alot on the texturing of it and the cornea.  I
slight shift in reflectivity for instance and change that whole perception.

> 2) I believe the inside of a shark's mouth is white/grey rather than pink.

LOL, yes I had that pink texture for the inside of the mouth as a sort
of place holder then forgot about it.  All I did was move the spot light
just a little closer to the camera location and suddenly, the pick
caught the light and... it's a cartoon mouth.  That "cartoonish" problem
as been hounding this project from the start.  I think that any time the
level of detail becomes generalized there is a tendency to see it as a
cartoon.  That and there is the bizarre grimace of a shark's mouth
anyway.  In one way I look forward to the problem.  The shark's maw
hold's famous fascination and I want to examine it in more detail.  But
modelling details on the inside area of a mesh can be exasperating too.

> Great work!

Thanks.  I feel that the next pass will really make or break it.