POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : latest WIP [136 K] : Re: latest WIP [136 K] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: latest WIP [136 K]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 28 Jun 2005 11:35:29
Message: <42c16e41$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen McAvoy wrote:

> Yes the colouring but not of the walkway but the hillock. The texture
> looks right if it is about a mile away but the path shows it is much
> closer.

Yes I think you are right.  I you are even more correct if I was to
render at higher resolution.  Incidently I believe this is what makes
golf such a vexing sport ;)  It is dreadfully hard to judge scale at
just those sorts of distances based on natural features.  For references
I googled "golf courses' and similar. It seems to be the point at which
textures start to soften into broader patterns. In my picture a pov unit
is about a foot.  The center of the pond, which is what all my objects
are translated and rotated in relatioin too, is 60 units from the bench.
  The center of the main blob that the receding stair loops around is
200 units from the center, so 260 units from the bench.

Of course it is also true, is it not, that it is just these sort of
perceptual phenomena that European parks designers exploited to produce
the illusion of grand vistas?

I admit I was quite proud of that distant grass texture when I came up
with it ( based on the cells pattern )  But I also feel it won't "carry"
as is.  I kept picturing adding people to the scene to reduce the role
it plays.  Otherwise I need to figure a way to add more real vagary to
the surface.  Cells reproduces the color patterns of distant grass well
I think.  But it does nothing as a normal.  Funny though, the island in
the pond is covered with real mesh-generated grass.  At this resolution
it might as well be a normal.

Okay, enough blather, more work.  Thanks for taking the time to bat
things around with me.

> Thanks for the link, very nice to see some of your work. I am
> impressed.

Thanks.  Working to try and integrate this all into a larger statement
somehow.