POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : latest WIP [136 K] : Re: latest WIP [136 K] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: latest WIP [136 K]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 28 Jun 2005 11:11:48
Message: <42c168b4@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
>
>>Stephen McAvoy wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 03:22:36 -0400, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom>
>>>wrote:
>>>

>>>The path doesn't fit the back/mid ground. I can't put my finger on it

>>>seem mismatched with respect to the path, I think.
>>
>>Now that one I didn't quite expect.  But in a way you are pointing to
>>the thing that was bothering me too, but I saw it in terms of the
>>coloring.  This coloring was the first solution I was halfway happy
>>with, ie the red brick road way and the light facing, but I wasn't sure
>>it it would sell.
>>

> Hmm... I wonder if one of the causes of this is not the exact juxtaposition
> of the left topiary and the branching of the path/staircase. This breaks the
> perspective view at a crucial point (for the eyes).

The whole thing came about because I needed to do something with the far
side of the pond.  I felt there needed to be some sort of wall or riser
there, just behind that featured topiary, precisely to give the eye a
reference point and to help profile the point where the topiary is
supported. Having a hill just recede away into the background along with
the converging lines of the surrounding walkway seemed unsatisfying.
Once I put the riser there, the need to have it extend into the hill,
somehow, was inevitable.  I kind of liked the stairs sweeping down and
ending at the all important toe touch.  But in the general case it is
well known that such convergences of lines in a picture are bad
compositionally. precisely because they interrupt the sense of
overlapping perspective.  The least I can do is rotate the stairs around
the pond to the right some more or change the camera angle.  Actually,
in my mind the wall was higher, but I wanted that sort of golf links
look too, with fixtures extending into the distance on a rolling green.
  Maybe I want too much

>>Somehow this idea of a fantasy garden of shoes seems like some sort of
>>logical progression from the hundreds of paintings I used to do of shoes
>>propped up on their toes:
>>http://www21.brinkster.com/jrcsurvey/paintings/selectedmenu.html
>
> That is very good work, Jim. I believe that this may get people interested
> in shoes you know! Quintessential, really.

Thankyou.  I believe there is a *lot* of latency involved with shoes.
If you look closely you may notice that I showed you the "selected"
menu.  Inquiring minds may wonder what would be on the plain vanilla menu ;)