POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Double planetoid WIP 3 : Re: Double planetoid WIP 3 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double planetoid WIP 3
From: Ger
Date: 28 Jun 2005 07:56:12
Message: <42c13adc@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Hello again everyone.
>
> Here's the most recent version of the planetoid. It's a bit big (sorry!)
> but it needs to be really because of the detail.
>
> I'm pretty happy with the colouring now, although I think I need to crank
> the radiosity up a little bit. I'm aware of my cock-up on the lower
> balconies (e.g., top-left, front-right); the matter has now been resolved.
> I'm also quite satisfied with the boulder - looks a lot more cliff-like
> now.

I did like the gray-ish look of the rock better ;)

> I have two issues to ponder:
> Firstly, do I put holes in the rock where the buildings intersect it? Or
> not?

Why would you want to?

> Secondly, there is still a slight problem with the overall scale. My
> thought is that the windows could be slightly smaller and the vegetation
> (very) slightly larger... comments?

You could make the vegetation a tad larger and only have it along the walls,
so as to leave the rest of the rock barren.

> Still to do: people. Actually, they're done now. But it took over 3 days
> to render this pic so they're not in it yet.
> Still to do: something subtle in the background. I don't know what yet.

A tough call because it shouldn't draw the attention away from the rock.
Maybe a very sparsely populated starry sky

> Some stats:
> 41,179 frame level objects.
> Peak memory: 123,899,186 bytes.
> Time for parse: 40 seconds.
> Time for trace: 79 hours 55 minutes 50 seconds.

Patience is a virtue :)

Overall I think it looks very very good

--
Ger