POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : latest WIP [136 K] : Re: latest WIP [136 K] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: latest WIP [136 K]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 27 Jun 2005 19:26:13
Message: <42c08b15@news.povray.org>
Stephen McAvoy wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 03:22:36 -0400, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom>
> wrote:
>

> The path doesn't fit the back/mid ground. I can't put my finger on it

> seem mismatched with respect to the path, I think.

Now that one I didn't quite expect.  But in a way you are pointing to
the thing that was bothering me too, but I saw it in terms of the
coloring.  This coloring was the first solution I was halfway happy
with, ie the red brick road way and the light facing, but I wasn't sure
it it would sell.

The blob is all of a piece, that is if I don't render the stairs, it
would flow continuously.  So I wonder if that is it.  That if the
expectation is that it would act as a retaining wall of sorts.  If it
was truly a path, it would conform to the terrain more rather than being
geometrically regular. But if it is geometrically regular then you
should see the terrain conform to it?  In a cultivated garden the
landscaper could actually have it both ways, I guess?  So maybe I need
to either make the terrain more geometric to conform to the walkway or
the walkway more conforming to the terrain.  Hmmm.  Kind of a b---h
since that walkway was harder to do than I'd anticipated :(  It's not as
if I didn't think of this before, it's just that I dismissed it with the
idea that the whole thing is a fantasy anyway.  Something of a new thing
for me, this fantasy business.

> Besides that, I
> think you're getting a foot fetish, Jim :-)

Yeah, but that's old news.  Melly nailed me on that one like four years
ago.

This is an idea I've had since the "Gardens" round.  But I was unable to
complete the entry in time back then.  Gilles, anyway, and I am sure
many others, have been using mesh data to arrange objects since forever.
  I always thought the topiary idea was screamingly obvious, what with
the POVer's preoccupation with foliage generation and all, but I don't
remember seeing anyone else do it so....
Somehow this idea of a fantasy garden of shoes seems like some sort of
logical progression from the hundreds of paintings I used to do of shoes
propped up on their toes:
http://www21.brinkster.com/jrcsurvey/paintings/selectedmenu.html