POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : latest WIP [136 K] : Re: latest WIP [136 K] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: latest WIP [136 K]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 26 Jun 2005 18:42:21
Message: <42bf2f4d$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:

> Nice scene!!

Thanks!!

> A problem with POVtree that I have not solved either, are the leaves that
> seem to float in the air, without branches/twigs to attach them. This is
> especially so in close-up. In groups or in the distance that doesn't really
> matter. But it is annoying... A possible solution is probably to increase
> the number of leaves in the bunches, to hide the absence of twigs. I think
> that Gilles' tree macro did not have that problem.

Yes, I hadn't turned my full attention to that yet.  I was hoping that
it has something to do with "major radius", "minor radius" settings on
the twig(?) tab.  Anyway, as you say, MakeTree would work just as well
for these "canopy" leaves.  I also want to do a more detailed job an the
actual leaves.  Those you see are just stock POV-Tree place holders.

> I like the ivy and the way it drapes the shoe topiaries. How did you do
> that, by the way?

I am actually using the Wings vertex data.  The "frames" are build by
joining vertices around each face.  But for the ivy, I "mined" out the
average or center points for each face along with the average normal so
I could use Reorient_Trans to correctly orient the bit of vine hanging
from each point. It is very crude but seems adequate for this level of
detail in this particular picture. The bits of hanging vine and their
leaves were generated in POV then instanced.  I usually create an array
of half a dozen or so random variations, then access the array randomly
when I go to place and actual bit of vine.

The ivy on the trunk is arranged along real vine stalks which I applied
using trace() together with spline definitions.  The trick there of
course is to add each generated vine to the trace target object so that
succeeding vines will ride over top of the preceding ones.