POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pov on 64 bit : Re: Pov on 64 bit Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:57:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov on 64 bit
From: Ger
Date: 21 Jun 2005 07:16:36
Message: <42b7f714@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>>> Btw, the speed difference is roughly 35-45% on an AMD 3500+
>>

>>     If you refer to the speed difference between 32 and 64 bit povray
>> binaries, what you observe will greatly depend on the pov scenes.  On the
>> official benchmark.pov/.ini you should get closer to a 20% speedup.
>
> More important than the scene is if you compare a custom 64bit compile
> with the official binary or an optimized 32bit compile. :-)
>
> Christoph

It was the official 32 bit binary compared with a recompiled 64 bit binary.
And the "test" was not an extensive one, just 4 scenes that I have made
myself. Those scenes never have stuff like isosurfaces or meshes. So you
might not even consider it a test, just a quick and dirty speed compare.
--
Ger