POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pov on 64 bit : Re: Pov on 64 bit Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:02:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov on 64 bit
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 21 Jun 2005 05:55:29
Message: <42b7e411$1@news.povray.org>
> When compiling PovRay on a 64 bit Linux system, is it sufficient to just do
> the configure and make as per the install file

	Yes.  In principle any 64 bit Linux distro comes with a development
environment set to produce 64 bit binaries.  If for some reason you need to
get 32 bit binaries instead, then you have to pass the "-32" flag to the
compiler (and implicitely to the assembler and linker as well).

	FYI, on non-Linux 64 bit systems, however, it might be slighlty
more complicated.  For instance on IRIX64 (SGI machines), compiling a
64 bit povray binary with a gcc distro installed under my home directory,
I had to do the following:

./configure CFLAGS=-mabi=64 CXXFLAGS=-mabi=64 LDFLAGS=-mabi=64 \
   -L$HOME/software/irix/lib/mabi=64 -L/usr/lib64/mips4 -L/usr/lib64
make check install

	since gcc on IRIX64 produces 32 bit binaries by default. Note that
the  -L$HOME/software/irix/lib/mabi=64  flag points to my user-installed gcc,
the other -L flags point to the system libraries.

	- NC