POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : QTPOV will not render a scene loaded up into it : Re: QTPOV will not render a scene loaded up into it Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:58:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QTPOV will not render a scene loaded up into it
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 17 Jun 2005 03:08:25
Message: <42b276e9$1@news.povray.org>
> It seems that povray(megapov) installer does not always add the correct
> path to you libraries.

	This might indeed be the case with 3.50c, although I didn't check it.
In principle installing 3.6 (povlinux or source distro) handles library
paths correctly.  Now Debian won't probably integrate 3.6 in their package
tree before 2 or 3 years  ;-)

> You mays also have problems if you have enabled
> IO restrictions

	True again with 3.5, which I/O restriction feature was awkward.

> (I still don't understand the meaning of such a feature
> on systems with secured filesystems).

	The filesystem "security" usually lets you write anything in your
user space.  Meaning it won't protect you from screwing up any user file
unless you manually change its write permission through 'chmod'.  Such
attack is possible via povray SDL when I/O restrictions are not set.
I/O restrictions just try to add another security level on top of the
filesystem permissions.

	- NC