POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tandem in Shed - 99% CSG - Unsure of lighting : Re: Tandem in Shed - 99% CSG - Unsure of lighting Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tandem in Shed - 99% CSG - Unsure of lighting
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 Jun 2005 21:13:29
Message: <42b223b9$1@news.povray.org>
Warning: Remarks/comments ahead.

Looks good for nighttime, to me; even if a garage door were open, if no
nearby streetlight exists.

It shouldn't appear to be a point source, though. That area_light isn't wide
enough, if it equaled the width of that bulb there would be softer shadow
lines. And it ought to diffuse light from the shade, too, so it could need a
second wider area_light for that. The pull chain's shadow would never be
sharp. The use of so many lights might be overkill; especially the dim red
one since you could probably change the pull chain texture (ambient or
diffuse or ???) instead of applying a light source. But I'm not sure of what
you were really trying with that.

Also, I could be mistaken, I think 'circular' gets cancelled out when using
'orient' in area lights.

I like the big black ants marching across the floor. Maybe needs a large
crumb or partially eaten donut (thinking torus here) dropped on the floor
for them to be trekking toward.

Observation about the calendar: would be better to make it a bezier_patch
with the image uv mapped onto it, that way it can have some curl to the
paper.

Anyway, to my eyes and mind, the room has the right feel. I wouldn't want to
add a window with a sunlit scene outdoors. To do so would get interesting,
though, because then you'd be attempting to balance the appearance of a
darkened room with daylight shining in [sarcasm] and that can be fun
[/sarcasm].  ;)

Bob Hughes