POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange results when averaging normals on a spherical mesh2 : Re: Strange results when averaging normals on a spherical mesh2 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange results when averaging normals on a spherical mesh2
From: scott
Date: 16 Jun 2005 05:59:54
Message: <42b14d9a$1@news.povray.org>
> But then I also tried this on the curved mesh2 (following Earth
> curvature) from the 1200 by 1200 SRTM data of some mountainous Afghan
> wilderness west of Kabul... and got a VERY strange appearance of the
> mesh (also attached).

It looks like the normals are all wrong, you shouldn't be able to see the
individual triangles like that if you've calculated them correctly.

Your code looks very complex (because of all the transformations built-in)
and I haven't got time to analyse it all.  But I posted some code to p.b.s-f
2D array of vectors, and then joins them all up with a smoothed mesh2.  You
might be able to spot your problem by looking at the code.  I hope it helps.