POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Povray 3.6 in Mac OS X 10.4.1 : Re: Povray 3.6 in Mac OS X 10.4.1 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 06:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.6 in Mac OS X 10.4.1
From: Christian Walther
Date: 3 Jun 2005 02:09:34
Message: <429ff41e@news.povray.org>
Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
>>>hmm, I did a fresh install, double clicked on the POV-Ray Icon but it
>>>just loaded the script editor, so I changed it to use the Application
>>>Loader, but when I double click it, nothing happens.
>
> ctrl+click on the binary "POV-Ray Mac 3.6" and choose "open with".

Something seems wrong here. The "open with" submenu shouldn't even
appear for applications. At least it doesn't here on Panther, I don't
know about Tiger.

> Anyway, I know it is not an "application" where you write code, but I
> tried to run it in the shell to get some output like I do in Linux.

You can't do that with the Mac version (well, you can start it from a
shell, but that's no different than doubleclicking it in the Finder). If
you want to do that, install the Unix version - compile from source, or
install a binary from a place like Fink (http://fink.sf.net/) (I think
they don't have 3.6 yet, though).

> I couldn't find any quick help description for it.

That's because there's supposed to be no need for it. If you open the
application, the basics should be obvious - there's a text editor, a
"Render" menu, etc. For more details, you can read chapter 1 "POV-Ray
for Mac OS" in the documentation that you can open from the "POV-Ray
Documentation in HTML" file. Obviously something is wrong with your copy
of POV-Ray or your computer.

When you say "it loaded the script editor", I assume you're not talking
about POV-Ray's scene editor (because that's what's supposed to open),
but about /Applications/AppleScript/Script Editor?

> My issues is, that I have no idea how to start rendering
> something on Mac. Should I just drop a pov-ray text file on the app?

That's one way to do it. That should open the file in POV-Ray's editor,
and you can then render it using the "Render" menu.

  -Christian