POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 48-bit to 24-bit Dithering : 48-bit to 24-bit Dithering Server Time
14 Jun 2024 07:54:21 EDT (-0400)
  48-bit to 24-bit Dithering
From: Ryan Lamansky
Date: 26 May 2005 08:35:50
Message: <4295c2a6$1@news.povray.org>
Dithering is used by imaging software to make a 256-color image look
like it has more color depth than it actually has.  In some images, the
256-color image can look exactly the same as a 24-bit original.

It accomplishes this by determining an optimal palette of 256 colors,
then using a "fuzz" algorithm to make 24-bit color values pick a nearby
palette entry.

The effect can be seen with an up-close inspection, but is invisible to
the casual viewer.

So, my question is this: has anyone done or seen any research on
dithering a 48-bit image to 24-bit?

My own efforts haven't been successful, but I seriously want to pursue
this because I think it could substantially improve the perceived
quality of 24-bit images, particularly those with a lot of gray shadowy
areas.

The ultimate effect is that a 24-bit image could look nearly as good as
a 48-bit one, and most importantly, the improvement would be visible on
commodity hardware.

-Ryan