POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7 beta 5 available : Re: POV-Ray v3.7 beta 5 available Server Time
19 May 2024 12:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7 beta 5 available
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 21 May 2005 15:56:33
Message: <428f9271$1@news.povray.org>
news:428e1d29$1@news.povray.org...
> Bob Hughes wrote:
>> Something else... I gave AA a try on the chess2 render and it slowed by
>> over 5 times and message window shows AA being used instead of ignored
>> due to focal blur being used.
>
> That is correct, the limitation that focal blur and AA cannot be combined
> has been removed from POV-Ray 3.7 :-)

Thanks Thorsten. News to me, too.

Now that I've checked on it more, by rendering the file focalblur.pov in
scenes\camera, at first I thought that the AA was being done in a unique
way. Which, perhaps it is. It's like it affects the blurring regions
inversely and exponentially. Then I realized it might need more 'depth' or
larger AA sampling array, so I used +r5 and that cleaned up the out-of-focus
parts great.

For example, if +a0.1 is used alone it looks disasterous, almost like a
defective AA. Increase the ray depth and it seems able to encompass the
blur.

Better yet, AA method 2 is superb for this. I tried +a0.3 +r1 +am2 and
improved the non-AA rendering without a slowdown. In fact, I'd suggest
everyone not even use method 1.

Bob