POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Frist try at...(109KB) : Re: Frist try at...(109KB) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frist try at...(109KB)
From: Shay
Date: 21 May 2005 11:57:43
Message: <428f5a77@news.povray.org>
I don't have the education to be educated by mathworld, but it looks (as
best I can tell) like they did the opposite of what I did.

You've got a big cirle of radius RAD that spins around 1 time in one
unit of TIME. So the POSITION on the big circle is:
(multiply by 2*pi to get radians from TIME)
POSITION = <cos(TIME*pi*2) , sin(TIME*pi*2), 0> * RAD;

Then put a smaller wheel whever that wheel is at. Make the small wheel
spin around something like 3.5 SPINS per one unit of TIME:
SMALLPOS = <cos(TIME*pi*2*SPINS) , sin(TIME*pi*2*SPINS), 0> * SMALLRAD;

Add POSITION and SMALLPOSITION together (or subtract, like Mathworld
did), and you're at the point for whatever TIME is on the graph. Connect
several TIME positions together, and you've got a spirograph.

Of course, That formula on Mathworld is just the beginning. <see attached>

   -Shay

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spirograph.jpg' (122 KB)