POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : exploring fresnel reflection : exploring fresnel reflection Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  exploring fresnel reflection
From: Jim Charter
Date: 19 May 2005 01:22:39
Message: <428c229f@news.povray.org>
While developing the attached images I was manipulating different
lighting and finish effects to get a certain design result rather than
absolute photo realism.

Working with shadowless objects I was balancing the diffuse with the
reflection values in the finish of the reflecting plane.  When I turned
fresnel "on" I got a result that both surprised and pleased me. It is
demonstrated in the second inmage. It surprised me because I thought the
fresnel function required variable reflection to be specified with a max
*and* a min value, but I was using just one value. Turns out the inverse
seems to be true, you can turn off all variable reflection by specifying
both  max and min values with max = min.

This lead to running a few more tests which can be seen here:

http://www21.brinkster.com/jrcsurvey/fresnel/

Surprising to me also is the effect of ior = 1, now reflection seems to
be cancelled unless different mas and min values are put in explicitely.

Anyway, any preferences when comparing the attached images?
Can anyone help explain some of the effects I am seeing?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fresnel.00001.jpg' (48 KB) Download 'fresnel.00002.jpg' (57 KB)

Preview of image 'fresnel.00001.jpg'
fresnel.00001.jpg

Preview of image 'fresnel.00002.jpg'
fresnel.00002.jpg