POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP : Re: WIP Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:27:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP
From: Bill Hails
Date: 14 May 2005 07:03:55
Message: <4285db1a@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> Bill Hails nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-05-11 23:05:
>> Hi, back to basics.
>>
>> Lathes and procedural textures/materials
>>
>> 1. I have no idea yet how to mould a handle and a spout
>> onto the teapot, but I hope I'll figure something out.
> You can try: sphere_sweep, spline + blob, isosurface, torus.

Yeah, Making the handle and spout is no big deal, it's getting them to
smoothly mould to the body is the trick. I like the lathe, but after an
abortive attempt at a "Welding" macro (trace(), binary search, sphere
sweeps) I'm coming round to using a single blob for the handle, spout and
main bulb of the pot, then letting the lathe do the rim and base of the pot
only.

>> 4. I realise the bubble in the tea looks fake, I'll work more
>> on that.
> The buble should protude a little bit in the meniscus, ie. push the near
> part a small bit upward. You may need to use a blob or an isosurface for
> the whole thea.

It's actually only positioned by eye atm, I'm planning to use trace(), but
yes I take your point, it doesn't itself exhibit any meniscus.

--
Bill Hails
http://thyme.homelinux.net/