POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW : Re: Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:13:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 11 May 2005 17:59:49
Message: <42828055@news.povray.org>

news:web.426fd04128bb42a62ff34a90@news.povray.org...
> "Boumboum34" <boumboum34[at]yahoo[dot]com> wrote:
>
>> So one question I have is, anyone know of a MingW or similar
>> GNU-compatible
>> C++ compiler that uses the Windows GUI instead of the DOS command line?
>> I've heard of DEV++ and Gnuwin32 but am not sure if either are what I'm
>> looking for
>
> I have had good results with Bloodshed's Dev-C++, but note that I have
> never
> attempted to compile POV with it. You can download a version with its own
> MingW setup, or you can download the GUI alone and point it to your MingW
> directory.
>
> http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
>
> It also operates a package system which you can use from the GUI, or
> alternatively you can download packages from
>
> http://devpaks.org/
>
> I don't know exactly what you'd need to do to get POV-Ray to compile with
> this, since it uses a project system and generates its own makefiles.
> Perhaps it will be really simple, or quite complex, but as I say I've not
> attempted to compile POV-Ray with Dev-C++.

I have very little experience with C and compiling stuff, but I attempted to
compile Povray with Dev-C++.

I was flooded in errors and at the bottom of the list it said:

"Something must be very wrong with your code!" or something similar.
I would like to be able to compile it with Dev-C++. If someone succeeded in
doing this, please send me the .dev file and/or instructions via mail.
(remove "best.webmail" from the address if you do)