POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isosurface problem : Re: isosurface problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface problem
From: James Buddenhagen
Date: 11 May 2005 16:28:55
Message: <42826b07$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message

[...snip...]

> // tetrahedron function
> // a is 'radius' of outcube
> // b is 'blob' strength
> #declare fn_blobbed_tetra = function(x, y, z, a, b) {
>         - ( x+y+z -a)
>         * (-x+y-z -a)
>         * ( x-y-z -a)
>         * (-x-y+z -a)
>         + b
> }

Interesting approach.  If I calculate correctly we need
0 <= b <= a^4 and now the object (without crack and agate)
is contained by box {-c,c} where c = sqrt(a*a - sqrt(b)).
Note that this approaches 0 (i.e. a single point, the
origin) as b approaches a^4.

I have not yet used isosurfaces but I was surprized that
you set it up so that the function is negative inside
the surface and positive outside the surface.  When
I tried your code with the negative of your function I
got the bounding box, not your surface.  That really
surprised me.  Is that a bug or am I missing something?
--
Jim Buddenhagen