POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Is it just me.. : Re: Is it just me.. Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:28:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it just me..
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 10 May 2005 09:02:31
Message: <4280b0e7$1@news.povray.org>
> ...I state truthfully that the images produced and displayed on other
> websites, which were made using such professional packages, are of a
> generally higher standard than most of those entered in recent rounds of
> the IRTC...

First, you are comparing apples and oranges! For an IRTC image the rules
say that it must be unique, you basically have got 2 months to create it
from scratch, and it has to be related to a topic. There are no such
constraints for images in galleries like the one on highend3d.com.

Second, I do not think that images on other websites are of a "generally
higher standard". Perhaps we can agree upon art being in the eye of the
beholder.

Third, it's not about the tools used (if you've got enough money to
spend thousands of $ for professional 3d software, be happy - not
everyone has) - it's about the people. You can't compare images or
animations made by individual amateurs (with limited time and limited
software/hardware) and images or animations made by professionals (with
access to all those high end soft- and hardware) or film studios!

The IRTC website states that "The competition is not about winning. You
do not have to be a professional, or even any good! Experts are welcome,
but the contest is run by and for amateurs with cheap tools. Those lucky
enough to have more impressive skills and equipment are asked to share
their wisdom, but we are more impressed by someone who can be creative
with what they have, than someone who has everything.", but also that
usage of commercial software is legitimate.

 > This is my final post on the matter.  Feel free to argue amongst
yourselves...

If you don't have time for an argument, why do you start it?

 > So why, then, am I to be called a troll...

Your posts are an affront against everyone who spent their spare-time to
run or enter the IRTC. Excusing this with "freedom of speech" is also
common troll behavior.