POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Is it just me.. : Re: Is it just me.. Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:01:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it just me..
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 10 May 2005 07:00:25
Message: <42809449@news.povray.org>
Loki wrote:

> Why does the comeptition only rarely see entries of truly high (i.e.
> highend3d.com) quality?  It's because the competition doesn't *want*
> entries like that...

I disagree!

If you take a look at recent winners, a lot of them were made with
POV-Ray (simply because the IRTC is popular among POVers), some with
other free tools (e.g. AOI) and some with professional software (e.g. Max).

Most entrants are hobbyists, not 3D professionals. They have limited or
no access to professional tools, limited hardware and limited time. It's
like complaining about that IRTC animations can't compete with "The
Incredibles"...

 > because they'd just win hands down month after month...

Well, if it's so easy to win month after month, go ahead and show us!
If your images are of such "truly high quality" that they're just too
good for the IRTC, try calling Pixar, they may be waiting for you...

If you're only iterested in what can be done with the latest software,
huge renderfarms and a team of professionals, the IRTC is the wrong
place to look.