POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Is it just me.. : Re: Is it just me.. Server Time
17 May 2024 04:07:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it just me..
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 10 May 2005 05:30:09
Message: <42807f21@news.povray.org>
Keep in mind that the IRTC is not a POV-Ray competition. I agree that it
is a bit POV-Ray centric, and that one good thing about it is sharing
POV-Ray code and expirence. I think the main reason for people entering
the cometition is to get feedback.

But as far as voting is concerned, it still is a _cometition_, and the
best image should win, no matter how or with which tools it was
generated. It is about creating a rendered image, not about POV-Ray
scripting. Some poeple use SDL and CSG to do all their modeling, some
use GUI modelers, some use other free modelers/renderers, and some use
professional software like Max or Maya. But IMHO we shouldn't care -
what counts are the results. It is possible to create stunning images
with POV-Ray that can compete with images made with professional
software, so there's no reason to give extra points just for using
POV-Ray or for writing cool POV-Ray macros. This would only discourage
users of other renderers and would eliminate the chance to compare
POV-Ray with other renderers by looking at IRTC entries.

But I agree that if all the models are self-made an entry deserves more
points than if the models are taken from Poser or downloaded from the
web - it's difficult to verify though.