POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Is it just me.. : Re: Is it just me.. Server Time
17 May 2024 05:51:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it just me..
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 May 2005 11:10:06
Message: <427f7d4e@news.povray.org>
> With encouragement like this, who needs bad admin to drive people away...

Let me say that I never cared much about the quality of the images. Sure,
every now and then you wonder what made someone think that the image would
actually be able to compete at all (e.g. when the image looks like it's been
made by someone who saw POV-Ray the first time a week ago). And sure does a
professional image (Gilles Tran, anyone?) stun and pull the rug underneath
your feet.

But the IRTC always was (and hopefully always will be) about sharing the
efforts. How was a certain effect achieved? Why choose this composition and
not that? Anything you scripted yourself to achieve something special?
Someone could have a marvellous talent at scripting, but the image won't
necessarily show it. E.g. you see thousands of spheres. The average viewer
would say: well, write a random loop and there you go. It is admirable then
to see that these thousand spheres *never* intersect because of some
ingenious code.

I don't know what Stefan was thinking, but to me, the IRTC always was about
a *fun* competition. Something like a starting ground for the next
generation of Povers, who will eventually submit a few magnificient pieces
of art and then turn to competitions with rewards (which they've earned).
That's how I see it. Aside of that, anyone who even begins to disqualify
beginner's images because it merely is a beginner who made the image, isn't
worthy of comment, IMHO.

As for your image, Derrick, I thought it was a well-deserved 2nd. I'd rather
see my image up in the Top 3, but who doesn't? :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>