POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Candles on the water : Re: Candles on the water Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Candles on the water
From: Rune
Date: 4 May 2005 16:18:48
Message: <42792e28$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> btw, how did you do the post-processed glows?

I used Paint Shop Pro 5.

I selected the flames and pasted them onto a new layer. (Selecting the
flames is pretty easy when they're on a black background. Make small
rectangular selections around each flame (use Shift to add to the
selection), then subtract all the black parts from the selection at once by
using the magic wand on the black background while holding down Ctrl.) While
selecting with the magic wand, you may need to experiment with the tolerance
and feather settings.

I applied gaussian blur on the new flames layer and set the layer blend mode
to 'Screen' and adjusted the transparency of the layer. That creates a small
bright glow.

I then copied the flames layer and blurred this new layer even more and made
it more transparent - i.e. to get bigger but more vague glows on top of the
other glows.

That's it.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com