POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : playing with sample code of Piqueres : Re: playing with sample code of Piqueres Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: playing with sample code of Piqueres
From: James Buddenhagen
Date: 2 May 2005 21:19:59
Message: <4276d1bf$1@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <dd### [at] dddd> wrote in message news:42765166@news.povray.org...
> James Buddenhagen wrote:
> > <snip> All I did was supply image maps, play
> > with parameters, and other tiny changes.
>
> <soapbox>
> It really bothers me that so many pictures here start with, of all
> things, an Internet search. And not just for reference. For objects and
> pictures to fill in a scene.

The image I posted did not start as an 'Internet search'.  I am new at POV
and looking at other peoples stuff and tutorials is very helpful to me.
In fact I did not set out to make any image.  I simply clicked on a link
posted in the recent 'autobahn' thread in this news group. Stefano Tessarin
raised the question of whether the pavement textures (in Jaime's image)
are procedurals or image_maps and Zeger Knaepen replied

  " Knowing Jaime, it's probably a proceduralized image_map:
    http://ignorancia.org/tech_page.php?image=23&db=tips "

Hey, I didn't even know what the question meant, but I clicked on the link.
The pictures at that site (of Jaime Vives Piqueres) look really neat to me
and there was a clickable item for the source. So of course I downloaded it
to see how he did it. It was natural to try my own images (from digital
photos that I took) as image maps, and to play with parameters to see
what I would get.  After some fun hours of experimenting I came up with
the image I posted.  I very carefully gave Jaime credit for the code
and explained my role.  So, quite frankly I don't know what your problem is.

> The near limitless possibilities of our blank "canvas" become restricted
> to a very finite set when the success of a Google search determines the
> direction of a scene.

Nonsense.  There is no reason one cannot look on the internet to try
to learn and also later apply the knowleged gained to a blank canvas.
In fact I have posted several images here that started from a totally
a 'blank canvas'.

> Below is a small attachment. A little experimenting with POV-Ray
> pigments. Not perfect, but I'm no geologist.
> </soapbox>

I have no idea what your attachment was trying to show.  I certainly
wouldn't substitute it for the floor texture of the image I posted,
which started out as a digital image of an abstract ceramic sculpture
that I made.

Jim Buddenhagen