POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh2 bug? [JPG, 800 x 600, 42881 bytes] : Re: Mesh2 bug? [JPG, 800 x 600, 42881 bytes] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 bug? [JPG, 800 x 600, 42881 bytes]
From: Slime
Date: 24 Apr 2005 04:11:34
Message: <426b54b6$1@news.povray.org>
> No, obviously it's no matter of dimension... even if I scale the whole
> thing down to one billionth (!!!). the gaps remain the same!

I'm not sure actually *scaling* the object down (with the scale keyword)
would make a difference. (This would just cause the ray to be transformed by
the inverse amount, calculate the intersection as usual, and then scale the
result back down, which doesn't avoid the actual potential problem of huge
numbers.) Instead, you might have to actually change the values you're
working with; that is, multiply the actual vertex_vectors by a small number
(or perhaps subtract a large number from them to bring them closer to the
origin in a certain direction without uniformly scaling).

The other thing, as Gilles pointed out, is to check whether your mesh data
actually *is* a series of disconnected triangles! Look at your data
carefully to rule this out.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]