POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Blender, Povanim, Poseray and friends : Re: Blender, Povanim, Poseray and friends Server Time
17 May 2024 08:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender, Povanim, Poseray and friends
From: Ross
Date: 22 Apr 2005 11:08:24
Message: <42691368$1@news.povray.org>
"Burki" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.42683208de0cce51d61e8c370@news.povray.org...
> Ross wrote:
> > Do you mean "Poseray" in the line above?
> Yes.
>
> > if you import the OBJ into Blender, then export a new OBJ with
> Blender, does it retain all of it's original vertex information?
>

> I do not have the export script to export as .OBJ script (from blender).
> But when I export with Povanim into POV-Ray, the number of vertices stays
> the same while the faces nearly double:
>
> Original Wings3D:
> 2550 vertices
> 2554 faces
> and 1 normal / face
>
> imported into Blender (via .OBJ)
> 2550 vertices
> 2554 faces
> ?        normals
>
> exported into .pov (with Povanim)
> 2550 vertices
> 5096 faces (I did not triangulate manually ! )
> 2550 normals  ----> one normal / vertex (aha?)
>

> Importing the .OBJ into PoseRay  ---->
> Number of vertices............. 2550
> Number of normals.............. 2550 (1normal / vertex)
> Number of polygons............. 2554
> Number of valid triangles...... 5096.
>
> So, Povanim seems to triangulate automtically and sets one normal per
> vertex. But the doubling of faces without having a doubled number of
> normals won't do any smoothing effect.

I might have time to experiment tonight. I don't think work would appreciate
me playing with Blender :)

> PoseRay seems to have a different way to calculate, but how...
>  --- I'm as informed as a tea leaf about the East India Company.

LOL. Nice analogy :) I know I've seen the author of Povanim post to
povray.binaries.images, so maybe he's lurking around here somewhere...

> And ani was also for me the reason to take a look at blender.

How have you fared with it? I'm just starting to practice modeling, no
animation stuff yet.

> Yours,
> Burki @ ginko . de .keinen spam!

Thanks for the info!