POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POVMan 1.1 : Re: POVMan 1.1 Server Time
14 Jun 2024 15:48:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVMan 1.1
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Apr 2005 13:28:58
Message: <42629cda@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I don't know that much about Renderman - do you mean surface curvature?
>  I guess this would only be possible numerically for most shapes.

Yes, basically it means using surface curvature (change of intersection
point and its normal with respect to u/v changes) in shader
calculations. Mostly it is used to filter texture (i.e. perform
antialiasing), but u/v information could be used also for texture
definition (i.e. texture will be calculated from u/v information).
I intended to add this support for most used shapes (quadrics,
triangles/meshes) for which u/v mapping and curvature could be easily
defined/calculated. POV-Ray has uv-mapping defined for some of such
shapes, for others it just returns xy coordinates of intersection as uv
vector. (shader could remap this according to shader parameters so user
can customize it according to needs).