POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a glass... : Re: File size (was "a glass...") Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: File size (was "a glass...")
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 17 Apr 2005 13:13:25
Message: <42629935$1@news.povray.org>
"Xplo Eristotle" <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> schreef in bericht
> The point he's trying to make, which you're either missing or ignoring,
> is that things such as "proper use of JPEG" or "acceptable filesize" are
> completely subjective (especially the former). Without absolute limits
> set by the server owner or by general consensus of the community, you
> have no grounds to say that a file is correctly or incorrectly encoded,
> except in extreme cases where everyone would agree that the limits had
> been exceeded (and since I downloaded the original image without
> problems with a fairly commonplace 256kbit connection, this is not the
> case), and obviously you two don't agree on a reasonable limit, or this
> discussion would not be taking place.
>
> As bandwidth and storage space increases, acceptable limits for files
> will necessarily increase as well, at least until we reach a point of
> diminishing returns, so historic limits may not apply either.

I don't see why it's necessary to increase acceptable filesize limits,
unless the quality of the images increases as well, which it doesn't.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say there's something wrong
with the content of the images, or that they're not worth looking at or
anything, I'm trying to say that they (the images) and we (the viewers) are
worth taking the time to compress them (the images, not the viewers) to the
filesize that has worked for 6 years.  I believe it to be a matter of
respect towards the viewers and the owners of the servers.

> If there are any official rules for this server that would be
> applicable, you would do well to point Eric toward them, and I'd be
> curious to see them as well. Otherwise, I would likewise be curious what
> the majority of community presently regards as acceptable.

As far as I know there aren't any official rules.