POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a glass... : Re: File size (was "a glass...") Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:03:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: File size (was "a glass...")
From: Ross
Date: 17 Apr 2005 12:22:22
Message: <42628d3e@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> Eric CHAPUZOT wrote:
>
>> happy ???
>
> Sorry, but I access the internet by 300 baud modem, and this file is
> much, much too large for me. Please restrict yourself to posting short
> textual descriptions of your renders instead.
>
> -Xplo

POV can output ascii art you know. and it uses the same few characters over
and over so it should compress really well ;)

though i fully agree with Zeger. proper use of compression is a must. But I
also agree with you that "proper" is completely subjective. However usually
someone can look at a jpeg and determine if it has enough detail or if it
is splotchy. post "acceptably compressed" image here, post hi res on a
website if you really want people to see it in all it's perfect pixel
glory.

by the way png's compress. original poster should look into it.

-r