POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POVMan 1.1 : Re: POVMan 1.1 Server Time
14 Jun 2024 05:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVMan 1.1
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Apr 2005 06:16:18
Message: <42623772$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Vahur Krouverk wrote:
>> Hope to find time to improve it and add some new features, but when or
>> what is still open....
>

> I think one of the most interesting (but at the same time also most
> difficult) improvements would be a better performance of the shaders.

I thought more in line of adding support for surface derivatives/ray
difference, which would allow to use more renderman shaders in their
full power. But this means changing POV-Ray rendering engine and
"shooting moving target" (with POV-Ray 3.7 in its way).
On other hand improving performance would be quite independent from
other changes. Current implementatioin is quite simple and I believe
that there is room for improvement.