POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-) : Re: Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh, you mean you people actually work like this? ;-)
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 14 Apr 2005 23:59:46
Message: <425f3c32$1@news.povray.org>
Steely wrote: (to Warp)
> You know the Alt-G stroke, You might use it when typing at the notebook, but
> it would never, never, never come to your mind when sitting at the PC. Why?

> arm that a lot of people think this way (I do, of course).

Keystrokes never come to mind???  Not at all.  Maybe a lot of people do
think this way (the inefficient ones), but I expect a lot more don't
(the effective ones).  Of course I use the mouse a lot -- but I still
find that keyboard shorcuts are much more convenient in many cases.

Mouse:  Move cursor up to the menu bar, click on Edit
         Move cursor down the menu, click on Undo
Keyboard:  Press Ctrl-Z (one hand)

(That's an example of one I use *ALL* the time!!)  In fact, most of the
common shortcuts are pretty universal between applications AND OS's.

Of course, as has already been mentioned, everyone has their own habits
and preferences.  This is normal and proper.  Nevertheless, I would
suggest that you try to get over your distaste for using the keyboard
with a GUI.  You might even find yourself working faster and easier.

Now, I use Windows, but I also use Linux, with a GUI (usually GNOME, but
occasionally KDE).  And I don't have any trouble using POVRay with its
command-line interface.  While I never had any UNIX experience in the
past, I had been a heavy MSDOS user -- and a CP/M user before that
(anybody remember CP/M??).  ;-)  So I am comfortable with a command
line.  Also I touch-type -- which is always helpful.

However, I'm still pretty much a beginner with POVRay and tend to always
use the same set of options.  So I find that a couple of very simple
scripts to drive it simplify things considerbly.  This way I don't have
to retype the options every time I call up a render.  You might find
something like this would be helpful as well.

> Then you change the OS. Great! You have hundred distros, ...

Really??  *You* have a hundered different distros???  :-)  I thought I
was weird -- I've got about four installed (but I only use one).

 >           a dozen WMs and two huge DEs.  ...

So?  Pick one, and use it.  There isn't really all that much difference
between them.

> it, you simply ask for- and get a punch on the nose!

It has already been suggested that things like QTPOVEditor or EMACS can
be useful in this regard.  That's "a punch in the nose"??  To me, it
sounds like people are trying to help you out.

But you are welcome to continue with your limited mouse-only world view.
  I'll stick to using both where appropriate, and get some work done.  ;-)

      -=- Larry -=-